Their names are often used in those classic scenes in American T.V. shows and movies where a future student and their whole family are waiting anxiously for a letter of admission. Or in those with a group of teens who are proud to say they went to an “Ivy League” school.
Ivy League schools are seen as models of excellence and the best in college education, and millions of students dream of going there. It’s not impossible, but only about 2% of the nearly 40,000 people who apply to each school each year get in.
Many people have trouble writing a letter of motivation, essential for getting into college. If you still don’t feel like writing a motivational letter, ask someone to write my paper for me. Those who want to be part of this elite group must, among other things, learn by heart what the Ivy League is and how to get into one of its universities.
Describe the Ivy League
The Ivy League is created up of eight of the most well-known schools globally. It is one of the NCAA (National Collegiate Athletic Association) conferences. The NCAA is the best college sports organization in the United States. Joining one of the “Ivies,” as they are also called, means much more than getting a chance to show off your talents in professional sports.
They lead all international rankings and are among the 15 best in the U.S., and everything matters to the fact that those who graduate from them reach higher professional goals than those from less well-known schools. Many of them even double their salaries when they start working.
Its name, “Ivy League,” comes from when this climbing plant was used to cover the walls of university campuses in the United States. Harvard, Yale, Columbia, Pennsylvania (UPenn), Brown, Princeton, Cornell, and Dartmouth, which are all part of this academic group, were some of the first schools in the country.
Harvard was the first, and it was started in 1636 in Cambridge, Massachusetts. In Ithaca, New York, Cornell is the most modern, and it was founded in 1865. “The eight ancient universities” is another name for these schools.
Can you obtain a scholarship at an Ivy League institution?
There is a price to pay for prestige and the right to “belong.” And it’s very high for the Ivy League: tuition at any of these universities costs between $40,000 and $60,000 per year. Like Brown in Rhode Island, some schools don’t have enough money to accept students from other countries.
Like Dartmouth in New Hampshire, others offer international students a way to get money to go to school. According to its website, even Harvard, which is the best of the group, has a financial aid program that helps 60% of its students. But athletic scholarships are never allowed, which is something that other schools that are part of the NCAA can do.
What should you remember when you’re signing up?
Before you can think about paying for an Ivy League college, you need to figure out how to get in. Here are some ways to get there and what you need to do:
- A high school GPA needs to be great.
- It is best to start getting ready for school at least 18 months before classes start.
- Review everything carefully and make sure you have everything the chosen university needs.
- Two English tests, the SAT and the TOEFL, are required, and the minimum score must be checked. When it comes to the SAT, you need to plan because you can only take it four times a year. This English-language test includes reading comprehension, writing, and math.
- Also, think about taking the SAT Subject Tests, a series of standardized English tests. Not all universities require them, but they can help your transcript. The best choice is to take classes related to the degree you want to get.
- Aside from academics, these schools look for people who stand out in music, sports, or other extracurricular activities and those with an entrepreneurial spirit, a leadership profile, a history of volunteering, etc. Even if the qualifications aren’t as good as those of other great applicants, those with other qualities can add points to their application.
- When applying for an MBA, it’s essential to determine how many letters of recommendation the business school you’re applying to needs. In general, they want between three and five references, such as a teacher, school counselor, or supervisor who knows the applicant’s level of intelligence.
Also, it’s best not to send letters from politicians, religious leaders, or friends unless they can give reliable information about certain aspects of their work or points considered in the admissions process.
- It will be essential to look at your finances to make sure you can invest around $50,000 a year or look into the financial aid offered by the same universities or by national and international groups that give out study scholarships.
- You can find out everything about the Ivy League on the official website. The page also has links to the websites of the eight-member universities, where applicants and students can find all the information they require, like admission requirements and schedules.
Ivy League schools don’t let everyone in, but if you’re brilliant, they’ll throw open all the doors for you.